History

Cwmaman was a well-known coal-mining village which, at one time boasted several collieries. The picture, to the left, is of one such colliery which was located close to today's club. The club is built in the position indicated by the white arrow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The club was originally used as a colliery pay office, see adjacent illustration. During the war it became a rations store. It was converted into a club at a cost of 18,000 in 1959/60 and was opened in December 1960.

 

 

 

 

 

Known locally as Glynhafod Club or the Top Club, it was reduced to a shell in a blaze discovered just after 1 A.M. on October 5th 1988.

 

 

 

 

By November 1989, the club, having been completely rebuilt, was reopened.

It has remained a popular and important meeting place for members and for the people of Cwmaman and the surrounding villages ever since.